Monday, April 26, 2010



This past weekend was a treat for me. No parties! Very unusual, but very nice. Not sure if people decided to put off their parties because of the bad weather. Thankfully we did not see the terrible weather that Mississippi experienced but we sure did get some intense thunderstorms. It was nice to be cozied up in the house listening to the rain.

My daughter's birthday was on Saturday but we celebrated on Sunday. My girl being the southern girl that she is wanted fried pork chops, homemade creamed corn, fresh green beans and her favorite birthday cake; Strawberry Refrigerator Cake.

Lydia and Bo came by early yesterday to drop off their 2 dogs to play with Ginger while they went to Oxford, Ms for the Double Decker festival that was postponed due to inclement weather. Billy cut the grass for the first time yesterday afternoon and I started in on the meal. I made two cakes. One for her to take home to enjoy for the week. It is a great recipe that I got from my mother-in-law and I will post the recipe below. After getting the green beans started, I then started on the corn. Anyone who has ever prepared fresh corn know how mundane and time consuming it can be. Husking, silking and cutting the corn.... Well! I bought this little gadget from Pamered Chef and used it for the first time. It is the BEST money I have ever spent! It costs $7.50 and it is wonderful! I highly recommend it. I love it....You should get one! Totally made the task easier.


Today, I will work on a couple of crafts that I wanted to work on during the weekend but somehow just didn't. Then I will be headed to Target House to paint the children of St. Jude later this afternoon.

Here is the recipe:

STRAWBERRY REFRIGERATOR CAKE

1 white cake mix
2 10 oz. containers of strawberries with juice
1 small box strawberry jello
Cool Whip

Bake cake according to package directions. Let cool. After cake has cooled, poke holes in cake with handle of wood spoon. Puree the strawberries. Take 1 cup of the strawberries and bring to a boil in a saucepan. Add jello. Stir till jello is dissolved and add the rest of the strawberry puree. Pour over cake and frost with cool whip. Put in the
refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving.

1 comment:

melissa said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Sounds yummy. :) Oh, and I'll have to get you the recipe for the Greek dish (as we call it) that is our Easter dinner.

MUST SEE YOU SOON!!!!!