I love teaching 3 year olds. Well, let me say MOST of the time I do! They are still so sweet and really show alot of growth from the beginning of the school year till the end. It always amazes me how quickly they learn things.
We have lunch after our circle time and to dismiss them to go wash their hands, we have strips of card stock with each child's name written on it.
We hold the strip up and if it is their name, they can get up. This is one of the "learning to recognize your name games" that we do in my class. At first only a few knew their own name. By Christmas they could recognize their own name and now they recognize each others names.....on everything!
Another thing I love to do with preschoolers is art. The messier the better for me! Christmas time is crazy busy and super glittery. This past month we had an art show for a preschool fund raiser. I wanted the children to
paint flowers in a flower pot. We used a flower pot shaped sponge and then each child would paint their flowers in it at the easel.
Well one little girl said to me "I don't know how to draw flowers". I told her "That's okay I will help you." So I drew a quick simple flower above her paper and "walked" her through the parts of the flower...."paint a stem, paint the leaves, okay now paint the petals...etc" Well, her flowers were beautiful as were the rest of the children's as you can see. But this is the best thing about being a teacher. When Julia's daddy looked at her paper, he asked her if she painted the flowers and she said "yes, Miss Molly teached me how to draw flowers!" Oh my goodness! let me just tell you to overhear that conversation just made my day!


1 comment:
oh... that's the good stuff.
Post a Comment