This past weekend we went to get some of the furniture that was my Mom's that cannot go with my brother to where he is living now. So it came home with me and some went with Lydia. I must say my Mom had some great pieces of furniture. But, mostly furniture that was made back then was good and not the cheapo stuff we have now. I will put her cherry bedroom furniture in my room. It will be nice to have a drawer that doesn't fall out when pulled too far. We had to get metal bed rails that convert the full size to a queen for the 4 poster bed so we can use it. A small wood chest that used to be in our den growing up is now in my great room. Great storage for a grandbaby's toys (squeal!..can't wait). A wash stand found a home in my dining room, and a cool rocking chair that apparently my great grandmother passed away in, will have to be put in the attic for now.
The best part was finding a cedar chest that I didn't know my brother had. We opened it up to find all kinds of treasures. Letters written to my Mom from my Dad when he was in WWII. Men were more romantic back then...each card said "to my Darling..." How sweet!!! We found Army issued swim trunks... which is hysterical and not very attractive either! My Dad's purple heart, day gowns my brother wore as an infant, a crocheted sweater too. We didn't have time to go through all of it but Lydia is making me promise not to go through any of it till she is with me. That touches my heart! I so wish my children knew of my Mom and Dad........
Oh well..... Drew also said he wanted to be there too so he can know my Dad.
The funniest thing was Lydia took home this small chest that was in our living room as a child. Something was rolling around in it. She called me when she got home and it was a bullet...and huge bullet!!! She googled it (isn't that such a convenience?) and it was from WW1 and made in Germany! How cool!
So everyone knows how one thing can always lead to another. This is the case here as well. I started redoing some things in my great room. I took down some pictures that were up for some time and put up some of my go-girl paint party pictures. I bought an old window shutter at Canton that I am completely stealing an idea from a friend with. I hung it on the wall and will be using clothespins to attach photos on. It will be sooo cute! Then I moved the couch down the wall to make room for another end table which then made me re-hang the pictures over the couch, which then I had to spackle the nail holes. When I went to paint over it....yep you guessed it...the paint was all dried up in the can. So I then had to go get some more paint. And as you may have guessed, THAT particular type that I had used I couldn't get a quart of. Nooooo I had to buy a gallon of it!!! So, needless to say if I do want to repaint the living room (which I was entertaining the thought!) it will be the same color. I already have a gallon of it... oh, yeah, minus the paint it took to paint over 6 nail holes....grrrr.!


No comments:
Post a Comment