Saturday, May 9, 2009

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

Happy Mother's Day to all of you! I have been reflective of my Mom the last few weeks. As you know I have not had a Mom my adult life. Momma died of cancer when I was 18 years and engaged to Billy. My father died of a heart attack when I was 6. I miss them. So, I have decided to share with you about my Mom! I was born to my Mom when she was older than most women having babies. There was 17 years between my older brother and I. Right about the time they decided to adopt, I was just on the horizon. My little sister was a surprise 4 years later than me. I was a "princess" and when little Sarah Margaret arrived let me just tell you it rocked my little world. And not in a good way! haha!

I called my mother, Mother, Mom, and Momma. I am not sure why all those different names, it certainly was not indicative of anything in particular, I just did. My Mom and I were extremely close. I could not have had a better friend. Oh, don't get me wrong. She was still Mother! I had far to many switchings with a switch for her to be still my mother and not let me cross the line.

She was a petite woman. She didn't have a talent as far as artistic or musical. Hers was being a hostess. She loved to entertain. When my father was living there were plenty of parties at our house. She would host circle meetings and showers and Christmas was always at our house.
It was all about the details with my Mom. Once in Home Ec, I was in charge of table setting for the 'dinner'. Mom bought an adorable pink and white checked sheet cut it down for the table at school and bought a bouquet of flowers to match and put in a vase. I was so excited to take it
to school because it wasn't the standard lace tablecloth or standard cream color.

She had a wonderful sense of humor too. When she was driving and would see a road sign that said, Stop Ahead, she would place her hand on top of my head (corny, I know). She made up songs to sing when she helped me brush my teeth as well as made up songs about my sister and myself. Mine was "Molly B, eyes are brown, she's the sweetest girl in town. O, Molly B!" I loved that song. The best thing though was she would tell me "If I could have ordered you out of the Sears catalog, I wouldn't have changed a thing about you." Wow! I loved that. As I said before..don't get me wrong. She disciplined me when I needed it. One time I can't remember what I did but she looked at me and told me she was disappointed in me. Whoa, that just about crushed me. I fell apart!

But what I learned from my Mother was from watching her. Walking in the kitchen and seeing her softly crying and asking her what was wrong her being honest and telling me she missed my Daddy and how she loved him so much. She woud tell me so many stories about him. She kept his memory alive in us so we didn't feel as if we lacked a father. Her care of my brother, David, who when he was only around 5 years old became ill and as a result was mentally handicap. She made sure David was clean shaven, matched in his clothes and appeared normal. She took him every Friday night for his bowling night. I never heard her ask "why me". She was left a widow at 42 with a mentally handicap son, a six year old and a 2 year old. I never heard say it. I am sure she must have thought it. She was a wonderful daughter in law to my Dad's mother. He was an only child and she was as close to "Mammy" after Daddy died, maybe closer than ever. It was a Ruth-Naomi example. Sure, she had faults. She wasn't a saint. But her strengths far out weighed her weaknessess. But all in all she was a wonderful Mother. She was funny, kind and welcoming. I only wish my own children would have known her as I did. But, hopefully I have continued some of her wonderful traits and through me they have known her.



2 comments:

maribeth said...

how sweet! what treasured memories you have. happy mother's day!

Amanda Brown said...

This is amazing Molly. She was an amazing woman just like you I am sure. You very much are a hostess like she was. And a very good one. I loved reading this, thank you for sharing. I hope you had a good mothers day.